It really doesn’t matter how many days you personally have been quarantining. Truth be told, even if you didn’t start until the state mandate, you’re at least on either day three or four.
With that being said, chances are, boredom has completely taken over at the point. Boredom combined with a heightened state of anxiety is never a good mix. A survey by Borrowell, a financial tech company, yielded results that show 74% of people are stressed because of the coronavirus. Furthermore, almost half of people are nervous about how they’re going to pay for rent and groceries. What’s scary is about 30% of people don’t know what they’re going to do if they run out of money.
That feeling of anxiety combined with chronic boredom due to being trapped in the house has resulted in a huge increase in the frequency at which people snack. It’s super easy to shake the nervous jitters and quiet the mind for a while with a snack in hand. More snacking obviously means more weight gain.
Stay active even if it means just climbing the steps. Be mindful of the food your choosing. Mindful snacking should translate to less snacking. Here we have listed the best tips to follow in this quarantine period for weight loss.
- Stay hydrated: Out body is 60% water. At times your body intermixes signals of thirst and hunger. Drinking plenty of water helps you keep away from unhealthy snacking, and is good for digestion, healthy kidneys and skin. Health authorities commonly recommend eight 8-ounce glasses, which equals about 2 liters, or half a gallon. This is called the 8×8 rule and is very easy to remember. If plain water bores you, you can try herbal tea and infused water as well. Put a slice of fresh lemon in your water bottle for taste and nutrition.
- Cut down on bad carbs and sugary stuff: It is important to distinguish between good quality carbs from the bad. Refined eating stuff like white bread, refined cereals pasta and sugary goods like cookies, doughnuts, and cakes are not the kind of carbs that will help you lose weight. Include more whole wheat products and foods with complex carbs and fiber. Complex carbs do not get digested too soon and help keep cravings at bay. When you cut down them, your hunger levels go down, and you generally end up eating significantly fewer calories. Instead of burning carbs for energy, your body now starts burning stored fat for energy. Many low carb vegetables include:
broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, tomatoes, kale, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, Swiss chard, lettuce, cucumber.
- Take protein in the breakfast: In addition to refueling you, breakfast keeps you full till lunch, which prevents you from noshing too much during the afternoon and grabbing an oily snack in between. Studies show that replacing a grain-based breakfast with eggs can help you eat fewer calories for the next 36 hours as well as lose more weight and body fat.
- Drink Green Tea or Coffee: It is highly advised to drink green tea(without sugar) for rapid weight loss. Green tea contains small amounts of caffeine, it is loaded with powerful antioxidants called catechins, which are believed to work synergistically with caffeine to enhance fat burning. Coffee has been unfairly demonized. Quality coffee is loaded with antioxidants and can have numerous health benefits. Studies show that caffeine in coffee can boost metabolism by 3–11% and increase fat burning by up to 10–29%.
- Home gym – Exercise: Quarantine is the best time to create a home gym using the household material and following weight-loss applications on the phone. Doing aerobic exercise (cardio) is an excellent way to burn calories and improve your physical and mental health. It appears to be particularly effective for losing belly fat, the unhealthy fat that tends to build up around your organs and causes metabolic disease. One of the worst side effects of dieting is that it tends to cause muscle loss and metabolic slowdown. The best way to prevent this is to do some sort of resistance exercise such as lifting weights. Studies show that weight lifting can help keep your metabolism high and prevent you from losing precious muscle mass.
In this time of quarantine, we should approach everything with optimism and work towards positive outcomes and keep the hope alive. By following these tips, instead of gaining weight, you are sure to get in shape like never before.