When we talk about chronic inflammation sugar is one of the worst culprits. These days inflammation is a hot subject especially in relation to our diet. We know that natural and unrefined foods like olive oil, berries, and salmon can help our body avoid off chronic inflammation. As we all know that chronic inflammation can be destructive to our health and cause many diseases including Alzheimer’s, arthritis, depression, diabetes, heart diseases, and cancer.
There are many foods that can increase inflammation, and one ingredient which is on the top of the list is sugar. “Use of excess sugar in the diet can definitely cause chronic indifferent inflammation, and it is the basic cause of chronic disease”— says registered dietitian Samantha Bartholomew, MS, RDN.
Bartholomew says “there are many means of inflammation causes by sugar”. Here are some destructive responses:
- Harmful compounds called Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs) are formed when sugar is combined with proteins and fats. Excess amounts of these harmful compounds cause inflammation.
- Our guts turn into a more adaptive form which allows different bacteria and other inflammatory molecules into our blood, more quickly.
- It can cause weight gain and a rise in cholesterol which can cause inflammation.
What we can do to avoid this:
- First of all, educate yourself by reading books regarding diet plans or by going to the dietitian and come to know what is the normal amount of daily sugar intake.
- If you are relying on caffeine in your soft drinks, coffee and tea keep in mind that too much usage of caffeine can impact your cardiovascular system. Caffeine can raise blood pressure. Those people who are sensitive to caffeine can cause symptoms of palpitation after the intake of caffeine.